Jonathan M. Shiff
Country of origin
Season 1: July 26, 2013
Season 2(First half season 2): February 15, 2015
Season 3(Second half season 2): May 29, 2015
Season 4: May 27, 2016Movie: Somewhere in 2017(still in produce)
Mako Mermaids is an Australian television program for children, and is an continuation of H2O: Just Add Water. The serie was announced in July 2011, and is produced by Jonathan M. Shiff, in association with Nickelodeon. The show was originally titled Mako: Islands of Secrets, but was later changed to Mako Mermaids. Then the title changed again to Secret of Mako Island and back to "Mako Mermaids" again.
The amount of seasons is different in every country. Some countries have 4 seasons and some countries only have 3 seasons. That's because the second season had two parts. The first half of season 2 was released at 15 february, 2015 and the second half was released at 29 may, 2015. Some countries added these 2 halves of season 2 into one season, creating 3 seasons instead of 4.
Season 1 was released at the 26th of july, 2013. Season 2 was released at 15 february, 2015(first half of season 2). Season 3 was released at the 29th of may, 2015(second half of season 2 or known as season 3) and season 4 was released at the 27th of May, 2016.
Now, Jonathan M. Shiff is creating a movie instead of a fifth season. It's almost certain that this movie will been released somewhere in 2017 according to the facebook messages on the facebook page of Mako Mermaids.
Listings (Disney Channel)
- All times are Eastern time zone.
- Disney's Mako "pilot week" (18+ Jan.2016): Charter cable listings: S1E1-6(Mon. debut) then 1/day Tue-Fri@7:30pm, the previous day's@7:30pm replayed the next day at 7pm (starting Wed), then #1-2 replayed Sat@10+1030am, #3-4 replayed Sun@10:30+11am, #5-6 replayed Sun@10+10:30pm.
- Disney's 2nd Mako week (25+ Jan.2016): Charter cable listings: Episodes replay on Mon-Thurs@7:30pm, Tue-Fri@2:30pm, Sat@9:30+10am, Sun@2pm+2:30pm. Fri@7:30pm is Disney's "New, HD" time.
- Disney's 3rd Mako week (01+ Feb.2016): Charter cable listings: Episodes alreay aired replay on M-F@2pm, Mon-Wed@7:30pm, Sat@09am+0930am+10am+10:30am, Fri@7:30pm+10:45pm is Disney's "New, HD" time. Disney Channel listing errors on Charter Communications Digital Cable Listings for 04Feb2016: Use online listings. Charter Communciations Digital Cable Listings are Wrong ... a Lot!!!
- Disney's 4th Mako week (08+ Feb.2016): Charter cable listings: Episodes alreay aired replay on Mon-Tue@2pm, Sat@09am+0930am+10am+10:30am, where Fri@7:30pm is Disney's "New, HD" time.
- Disney Channel's 5th Mako week has cut back the daily time slots for Mako, 2pm only Mon-Tue, 7:30pm "new" on Fridays, 9-10am Saturday, and the next week is only Fri@7:30pm and Sat@11-1200... guess they didn't have enough veiwers from the first weeks.
- After that it's just Fri@7:30pm only. They sometimes put on Saturday episode showings, but later abandon that.
- Charter Communciations Digital Cable Listings are Wrong A Lot about listings, even episode info, Disney Channel and Mako Mermaids included. Instead, use http://tvschedule.zap2it.com/tv/mako-mermaids/EP02104436?aid=tvschedule.
- As a non-Disney "Netflix production" it looks like there will not be a 'Disney On Demand' viewing option, which would likely be a competition to Netflix or Nickelodeon.
- It looks a lot like Disney might not even close out the entire Mako season before hitting the "delete" key... but great that they gave Mako a shot. Hope it helps fund a follow-on series from Shiff, he's opened up the Mermaid genre like no-one ever has, and if he's here to stay, then the fans will be too, and Disney would be lucky to work with him!!!
Three mermaids: Sirena, Nixie, and Lyla, get the job to protect their magical Mako Island from landpeople during the mermaids' full moon ceremony. But during the ceremony, a normal landboy who was camping on the island with his friend, falls accidentally into the Moon Pool during a full moon and becomes a merman. The Mako pod council discovers that and they banish Sirena, Nixie and Lyla from their pod. Because Zac is now an enemy of the Mako pod, the pod must flee and Sirena, Nixie and Lyla may not follow.
The three mermaids are broken, but decide to solve the problem by taking the boy's powers away. The girls then realise that they can get legs by using Sirena's Moon Ring that she got from her sister Aquata right before she fled with the pod. On land, they meet Rita Santos, an older and wise mermaid who lives on land and helps the three mermaids finishing their mermaid school. She also helps them fix the boy, which the girls discover that his name is Zac Blakeley. Sirena also likes a boy named David who works in the cafe, and she secretly falls in love with him.
Zac forms a strong, and special connection with the island, and gets a blue fish-like tail covered in scales, and amazing marine powers. He also tells his best friend Cam (short for Cameron) that he has a tail and powers. Without Zac knowing it, Cam becomes jealous. The undercover mermaids become friends with Zac because they saw him with a tail during a pool party that his girlfriend Evie McLaren organised for him(who doesn't know about Zac's powers). But they don't tell him that they are mermaids. Cam doesn't trust the undercover mermaids, and warns Zac, but Zac doesn't listen to Cam.
During season 1, Zac finds a trident, but also finds out at the same time that Sirena, Nixie and Lyla are mermaids. The three mermaids fight with Zac over the trident, but fail. He is upset that Sirena, Nixie and Lyla kept their tails a secret to him, and now believes that they want the power within the trident, so he sees them as his enemy. But Sirena, Nixie and Lyla just only want to protect Zac from the powers of the trident. Zac tells Cam what happened and Cam tells Zac that he made the right choice. And also convinces him to hide it in his locker, Rita (the principal and also a mermaid) nearly finds it in his locker.
Later in season one, Lyla gets hurt as Zac and Lyla fight over the trident. Zac is shocked and brings her to Rita's grotto(which he now knew about). The mermaids try to heal Lyla but their rings are out of energy. Zac gets the trident to charge the moon rings and the mermaids try again, with success. Now Zac sees what the trident can do and decides to put it back where he got it.
But it isn't over yet. Cam convinces Nixie with a lie to open the trident chamber and he gets the trident together with Evie(it wasn't planned that she would also come too). But Evie gets trapped in the endless ocean and Zac saves her, revealing to her that he's a merman meanwhile Cam escapes with the trident. At a full moon, Cam tries to destroy the moon pool with the trident, but fails thanks to Zac. Now the mermaids see that Zac isn't that bad at all and are grateful to him.
If you look closely at the 15 minute mark in the season's finale, you can see Gordon Freeman dying in the background.
Two new mermaids named Ondina and Mimmi arrive at Rita's grotto, together with Sirena who tried to convince the mermaid council about Zac, but failed. Ondina and Mimmi are both afraid that Zac Blakely is a threat to mermaid pods everywhere. They decide to create a potion with the power of 50 moons. They lure Zac into a trap and use the potion on him when he's in the moon pool during a full moon. The potion seems to work, but then Evie suddenly appears in the moon pool and instead of affecting Zac, the potion effects Evie. The next morning Evie discovers that she now is also a mermaid, but doesn't want been involved with any of it and wants to be normal again as quick as possible. But she realises what she can do with her new form and decides to keep her tail and powers.
Erik is new in town and he discovers that Ondina is a mermaid while she thinks that Erik is a normal landboy, but he isn't, and he shows Ondina his tail too. Ondina tells this to everyone and Erik becomes friends with Zac. Together, they discover another chamber on Mako, the Merman Chamber.
But when they try to activate it, a secret is revealed. Veridia, head of the Mako council tells everyone that Zac is the son of Nerissa and that there will happen terribly things when the son of Nerissa controlls the chamber. But Nerissa is Mimmi's lost mother. Mimmi discovers that Zac is her brother, and Zac discovers that he has never been a normal landboy, but that he's born as a merman. He finds out that he's adopted and it becomes too much for him.
He pushes away the people who care about him and doesn't want to been involved with any of it. In his opinion, his whole life was a lie. He's shocked, but manages to forget about who he really is and reconnects with the people who care about him.
At the end of season 2, Erik discovers what's needed to activate the chamber: the trident stone. He manages to get it and he takes Zac's powers when Zac tries to stop him. Erik activates the chamber, but it's made in a war between mermaids and merman a thousand years ago to kill all mermaids and Erik doesn't know that. When Ondina, Mimmi and Sirena arrive to stop him, they fall unconscious on the ground. Ondina isn't doing well and Erik realises what he did. Ondina is the person who he loves and certainly doesn't want to hurt her, so he decides to shut the chamber down, but fails. Zac also tries and succeeds, but with no mercy. Zac's life energy is taken by the trident stone and he's dying. Luckily Mimmi awakes on time and puts the stone on Zac's chest, saving him. Ondina breaks up with Erik and he's never seen again.
- Brooke Nicole Lee, Gemma Forsyth, Dominic Deutscher, Amy Ruffle, Chai Romruen, Kerith Atkinson and Rowan Hills are confirmed to return for season 2.
- Lucy Fry and Ivy Latimer will not return for season 2.
- Isabel "Issi" Durant will join the cast in season 2 as Ondina.
- Canadian Actress, Allie Bertram will join the cast in season 2 as Mimmi.
- Actor/Model Alex Cubis also will join the cast as Erik in season 2.
- Later on Twitter, a user tweeted that there will be a conection between the mermaids of H20: Just Add Water, and Mako Mermaids, so please bring back the H20 mermaids and Jonathan retweeted "Yes. Good guess! :)"
- Jonathan tweeted that they met on Monday on 6th January with the main cast.
- The filming of season 2 will start in July, 2014 according to the article on Gold Coast Bulletin.com
- Evie becomes a mermaid in season 2 according to Jonathan M. Shiff. He Twittered a photo where Sirena, Mimmi, Ondina and Evie are in Moon Pool.
- It has been confirmed that Ondina and Erik will be a couple. Both Alex Cubis and Isabel Durant tweeted that it's their last day of filming with their "onscreen lover" and "mermate".
- Evie will get a moon ring in season 2.
- Jonathan M. Shiff said that the release date for the first half of season 2 will be in January, 2015.
Weilan, a Chinese mermaid discovers a mysteriously blue glow in the water and releases a terrifying water dragon. Weilan flees to Mako for safety, but the dragon follows her. On the next full moon, the dragon appears near Mako. Zac, Mimmi, Ondina, Evie and Weilan warn Veridia and the pod hides in the underwater caves of Mako. Weilan tells everyone about the dragon, that is was created to destroy mermaids and their pods. Now that Zac, Mimmi, Ondina, Rita and Veridia know about the dragons destiny, they must find a way to destroy it. Moon rings don't affect the dragon, so they have to find another way.
Zac manages to learn a trick from Weilan called Turning The Tide. It's an Chinese mermaid trick to defend themselves. It's some kind of shield that will sends back anything a attacker uses on the user of the shield. Zac plans to lure the dragon inside the moon pool on a full moon and there he wants to use the trick he learned from Weilan to send the fire of the dragon back to the dragon itself to destroy it, but Evie hears about it and follows Zac to the moon pool. Zac isn't happy with Evie's presence and when the dragon arrives at the moon pool, Evie tells the dragon to leave them alone, hat seems to be a mistake. The dragon uses its fire on Evie and she loses her tail and powers.
Mimmi's moon ring goes glowing all the time and after that happens she always sees a mermaid. But who is this mermaid? Mimmi believes that it's Nerissa and that she needs Zac and Mimmi's help. But Mimmi has nothing to prove this.
Chris, a landboy who Mimmi loves, breaks up with her because he knows that Mimmi is hiding something. Mimmi swims to Mako and Zac hears about what happened. Zac goes after Mimmi and comforts her. At that moment, Mimmi's ring goes glowing again. Zac can see what Mimmi sees because of their blood connection. The mermaid appears again, but then in the moon pool. She says to Mimmi and Zac: My children. Mimmi tries to touch the mermaid but she disappears when she tries. Now, Mimmi and Zac know it for certain that their mother is still alive and that she needs help. They go to Ondina to explain what they just saw.
Veridia and the council announce their plan. On the next full moon, the council will release the full power of Mako to destroy the dragon. Meanwhile, Weilan discovers that the dragon is actually a person under the influence of a powerful spell and that it can only been broken by using a magical bracelet. Zac and Mimmi hear about this and go to Veridia to convince her not to implement their plan because the dragon could be Nerissa, but in vain. According to Veridia, they must destroy the dragon or the pod will never be safe. So they continue their plan.
Mimmi, Ondina and Weilan hear from Chris that the famous artifact diver Rikki Chadwick, a former local girl, is coming to town with all the artifacts she found on the bottom of the sea. Chris asks Mimmi and Weilan to come along together with Karl, a good friend. Ondina also decides to come too. When they arrive at the building where they can admire Rikki's articfats, the girls see a dragon bracelet and realise that it could be the bracelet they need to destroy the dragon. When Rikki is alone in a private area, they confront her and discover that she's a mermaid too. They ask Rikki if they can take the bracelet because they are threatened by the dragon. But Rikki doesn't agree and the security removes the undercover mermaids.
Weilan and Ondina return to the building but discover that Rikki is already gone. They find her in the moon pool and convince her to give them the bracelet. Mimmi puts the bracelet around her arm and she breaks the spell with the bracelet the next full moon. Zac and Mimmi are reunited with their mother and she tells them what happened. After this, Zac tells Cam, Carly and Evie what happened. Zac also decides that he will tell his adoptive parents about who he really is.
The serie changed its name at least 4 times. First it was named Mako: Islands of Secrets, but was later changed to Mako Mermaids. Then the title changed again to Secret of Mako Island and back to "Mako Mermaids" again.
Season 1 consists of 26 episodes that are each 26 to 30 minutes. Filming began in April 2012, but was postponed to the beginning of May 2012. On 8 May 2012, Shiff Productions announced the principal cast and the start of the shoot. Filming ran through 12 October 2012.
- Mimmi (Allie Bertram): Mimmi is a northern mermaid who immigrated to the Gold Coast where she became part of the Mako Pod. Her mother is Nerissa but she disappeared. Mimmi has knowledge of various potions and spells. In season 2 she decides to do something about Zac. In "Reunion", she and Zac find out that they are actually long-lost siblings. In the last episode of season 4(season 3), Mimmi breaks the dragon spell and she and Zac are reunited with their mother. Mimmi has a relationship with Chris and shows him her tail in the end of season 4(season 3).
- Ondina (Isabel Durant): Ondina is a mermaid from the Mako Pod. She's a reckless girl who handles things her own way, but is learning to care for others with gentleness. She's friends with Mimmi and she decides to do something about Zac in season 2. In season 2 she becomes friends with a merman named Erik. First she thought that he was a normal landboy who saw her in mermaid form but he wasn't and showed her his tail. They get a relationship but at the end of season 2 she breaks up with Erik because he tried to start up the chamber and didn't listen to her.
- Zac Blakely (Chai Romruen): Zac is a 16 year old teenage boy and the main character of Mako Mermaids. He goes camping on Mako Island with Cam and then falls into the Moon Pool which causes him to unlock his merman powers. Zac is sporty and grew up surfing. Before he unlocked his tail, Zac was a lifeguard. Zac's powers consists of moving things in any direction, making machines and objects do what he want, controlling water and forming the water in any amount and shape he wants, boiling water and evaporate water and becoming invisible for a short time. We also see Zac using a trick on Cam's voice with his powers. With this trick he could make Cam sing beautiful wich he couldn't do before. Zac's girlfriend is Evie, who later gets a tail. Zac also finds out he was born a merman and his true connection to Mako. He also has a sister, Mimmi. His biological mother is Nerissa and he's adopted by landpeople. He also learns a trick called Turn The Tide from Weilan to destroy the dragon.
- Lyla (Lucy Fry): Lyla is one of the first mermaids in season 1. She was banished by her pod because she was involved with an accident that caused Zac to get merman powers. Lyla first watched closely every move Zac made, but later on develops feelings for Zac. Lyla is the rebel mermaid. She is the fiery mermaid and she's very determined and passionate. At the end of season 1 she gets hurt when she fights with Zac over the trident. Lyla doesn't appear in season 2, but there was spoken about her by Sirena when she tried to convince the council about Zac. According to Veridia, Lyla went looking for a new home together with Nixie.
- Nixie (Ivy Latimer): Nixie is also one of the first mermaids in season 1. Together with Lyla and Sirena, she was banished by the Mako pod because they let Zac fall into the moon pool wich caused him to get merman powers. Nixie watches closely every move Zac makes in season 1. Nixie loves adventures but also sometimes gets into trouble. Sometimes Nixie says things the ugly way, but eventually she doesn't mean it like that. Nixie also likes it to watch landpeople in secret, wich we hear from her in the episode ''Getting Legs''. At the end of season 1, Nixie is lured in a trap by Cam because he lies to her. Nixie opens the trident chamber and Cam manages to steal the trident. Nixie doesn't return in season 2 but we hear Veridia saying that Nixie went looking for a new home together with Lyla.
- Sirena (Amy Ruffle): Sirena is one of the first mermaids in season 1 too. The same thing happened to Sirena as what happened with Nixie and Lyla, being banished from the pod because Zac felt into the moon pool wich caused him to get merman powers. Sirena also got the moon ring from her sister so she could defend herself when she needed to, according to her sister Aquata. Sirena uses this ring together with Lyla and Nixie to get legs so they can go on land. In the beginning, Sirena is a little unsure, but gets stronger every day. Sirena also falls in love on a boy named David. Sirena is a sweet girl, but also very vulnerable. From the trio, Sirena is the most emotional person. Sirena returns in season 2 and there she's some kind of mermaid leader. She guides Ondina and Mimmi when they arrive on land. Sirena doesn't appear in season 4(season 3), but what we know is that she went on a holiday with her sister Aquata.
- Cam (Dominic Deutscher): Cam is Zac's best friend and a lifeguard. In season 1, he's the first person to know about Zac's tail. But without Zac even realising and knowing it, Cam becomes jealous and makes Zac doing bad things when Zac and Cam discover that Sirena, Lyla and Nixie are mermaids. It even goes so far that Zac accidentally hurts Lyla with the trident. This forces Zac to put back the trident where it came from, but Cam doesn't agree. Cam convinces Nixie with a lie to open the trident chamber so he can get the trident. But Evie gets involved and almost dies. This forces Zac to save Evie and revealing that he's a merman. This almost costs him his relationship with Evie. Now Cam has the trident and he also tries to destroy the moon pool and becoming a merman too. But thanks to Zac he fails. Zac breaks up with Cam, but restores his friendship with Cam in season 2. In the other seasons, Cam isn't such a bad guy anymore. He even gets an relationship with Carly, a waitress at the Juice Café. Cam appears in all the seasons.
- Evie (Gemma Forsyth): Evie is Zac's girlfriend but feels that Zac is hiding something from her. Evie works at the Juice Café as a waitress and in the clothing store. Evie finds out in the last episodes of season 1 that Zac is a merman and this forces her to push Zac to lose his powers if she wants to keep it a secret. Zac tries, but it doesn't work. Luckily Evie is happy with his personality and she doesn't care about what he is. In season 2 Evie gets a tail and powers by accident. She doesn't want to been involved with any of it but later on decides to keep her tail. At the end of season 2(season 3), Evie shows courage when Erik is trying to activate the merman chamber and this makes Veridia giving her a moon ring, wich allows her to join the full moon ceremony. In the last season, Evie loses her tail when she's hit by the fire of the dragon when she asks it to leave her and Zac alone. Evie is quite an emotional person and her emotions can been easily hurt. Evie appears in all seasons and goes through the weirdest things after she got a tail.
- Rita Santos (Kerith Atkinson): Rita is an older and wise mermaid who decided to leave the pod for a life on land. She has her own land house and is the principal on a school. She would actually marry a land person, but unfortunate her future man died before she could marry him. Rita is seen for the first time in Mako Mermaids when she finds out three outcast mermaids are wondering around in her school. She takes Sirena, Lyla and Nixie to her room and takes the ring of Sirena. The three mermaids follow Rita to her house and discover an secret grotto underneath Rita's house and that Rita is actually a mermaid. Sirena gets her moon ring back by threatning Rita to reveal her secret. Eventually Rita decides to help the girls finishing their mermaid school and handling Zac. Rita is seen in all seasons and every time she gives the mermaids information about things they need to know. She also gives the new mermaids in other seasons the permission to stay at her grotto whenever they like.
- David (Rowan Hills): David is the boy-next-door - cute, honest, matter-of-fact, and always happy to help out. David works at his dad's cafe business. His family owns the Ocean Cafe and are well liked in the local community. David falls in love on Sirena in season 1 and eventually discovers that Sirena is a mermaid. David also starts a live band at the café and Sirena is the singer. David appears in every season, but isn't as active as the other characters. He's mostly seen at the café.
- Carly (Brooke Nicole Lee): Carly is an employee at the Ocean Cafe. She has feelings for David and she is Evie's best friend. Carly eventually gets feelings for Cam and they start a relationship without any confirm they have one. Carly is also the last person to discover that most of her friends are mermaids and merman and that her friends who are non-merpeople already knew about merpeople except for her.
- Neppy (Angourie Rice): Neppy is a hatchling from the Mako pod who follows Ondina to Rita's grotto after Ondina reported to Veridia. Neppy is discovered by Mimmi and only may stay for the night, but she runs away, eager to find the bad merman Zac. But she discovers that there are two merman: Zac and Erik. Ondina is very angry on Neppy and this causes Neppy to run away again. But this time she gets caught in a fishing net, drawing the attention of a group of teenage land boys. Luckily, Zac finds her on time and scares the land boys off with his tail, acting that he's a shark. Neppy is afraid, but eventually agrees to come along with Zac to Rita's grotto. Ondina apologieses to Neppy and brings her back to the pod.
- Zac's powers are Speed Swimming, Telekinesis, Hydrokinesis, Hydro-Thermokinesis, Invisibility and Volume Reduction. He can also Turn The Tide and vision sharing with Mimmi because of their DNA.
- Lyla's powers are Speed Swimming, Telekinesis, Hydrokinesis, Hydro-Thermokinesis, Invisibility, Hydro-Cryokinesis, Aerokinesis, Aerokinesis and Volume Reduction. At the end of season 1 she gets a moon ring wich she can use.
- Sirena's powers are Speed Swimming, Telekinesis, Invisibility, Hydrokinesis, Hydro-Thermokinesis, Siren Singing and Atmokinesis. She also can use her moon ring.
- Nixie's powers are Speed Swimming, Telekinesis, Invisibility, Hydrokinesis, Hydro-Thermokinesis, Volume Reduction and Electrokinesis.
- Ondina's powers are Speed Swimming, Telekinesis, Invisibility, Hydrokinesis, Hydro-Thermokinesis, and Hydro-Cryokinesis. She can also use her moon ring.
- Mimmi's powers are Speed Swimming, Telekinesis, Invisibility, Hydrokinesis, Hydro-Thermokinesis, Atmokinesis, Hydro-Cryokinesis and Aerokinesis. She can also use her moon ring. She can also do uncontrolled vision sharing with Zac because of their DNA. Mimmi also knows various potions and spells.
- Hatchlings(Children mermaids): Hydrokinesis and Speed Swimming.
- Cam's powers are temporarily Speed Swimming but then way much weaker. Cam accidentely touches and absorbs moon pool water that has been too long out of the moon pool and suddenly can swim faster than the avarage human. This also causes him to attract water. To drain the moon pool water out of his body, the mermaids have to almost freeze Cam. They get the water out of his body but now he can't swim as fast as he could before with the water in his body.
- Evie's powers are Hydrokinesis, Telekinesis, Speed Swimming and she can use her moon ring. Evie also gets a cold wich causes her to sneeze fire. Evie's powers are only temporarily because she loses her powers.
- Rita has almost gotten every power there exists in the merpeople world except for Gelidkinesis and Substanciakinesis. Rita also knows various potions, spells and delicious merpeople recipes. We also see Rita creating firework out of water when she's teaching the hatchlings.
- Rikki's powers are Speed Swimming, Hydro-Thermokinesis, Electrokinesis, Combined Atmokinesis and Pyrokinesis. Rikki also asks Ondina to some day teach her Invisibility.
- This is the second series Lucy Fry has the main role in a serie that's created by Jonathan M. Shiff. The first was Lightning Point (Alien Surf Girls in US).
- The name Lucy Fry was also used at the graduation ceremony in H2O: Just Add Water.
- In H2O: Just Add Water the mermaids each had lockets or crystals, but in Mako Mermaids the mermaids do have Moon Rings in a shape of a tail.
- Mako Mermaids will make connections to H2O: Just Add Water. Rikki Chadwick will return in the last season of Mako Mermaids.
- Season 1 of Mako Mermaids was confirmed to been released in July, 2013.
- Season 2 of Mako Mermaids was confirmed to been released in February, 2015.
- Season 2 originally had 2 halves. The first half was released in February, 2015 and the second half in May, 2015.
- Some countries see the second half of season 2 as a season 3. That explains why some countries have 4 seasons.
- Other countries have put the two halves of season 2 together to create one season 2 and that explains why other countries only have 3 seasons.
- Dom Deutscher (Cam) stared at Cleo in the H2O: Just Add Water series in the episode 'The Siren Effect' when Cleo attracted a lot of boys with her voice because she was under the influence of the full moon.
- It was confirmed by Amy Ruffle via twitter that her character (Sirena) will have a sister named Aquata, played by Jenna Rosenow.
- It is still unknown how natural mermaids got into Mako Island.
- No other mermaid pods were seen in the H2O series, although they let us think in the Mako Mermaids series that pods were already there in the H2O series because in the Mako Mermaid series they are talking about a war between merman and mermaids at Mako a thousand years ago and that the mermaid pod lived at Mako ever since.
- The Moon Pool in Mako Mermaids is different than in the H2O series.
- There is a hidden mermaid cave in Rita's house.
- In Mako Mermaids we learn more about the merman.
- In Australia, the series is known as Mako: Island of Secrets instead of Mako Mermaids.
- In Episode 5, "Blizzard", it is revealed that the Nixie, Lyla, and Sirena are southern mermaids, meaning that they only live in the South Pasific and that their body's are only used to nice warm water and warm, rainy weather and not to cold water and cold weather. They have never had any experience with snow. When they do come into contact with snow, they develop Snow Rash, which is treated with dried seahorse powder.
- Other powers like Gelidkinesis and Substanciakinesis are never shown in Mako Mermaids, although they were in the H2O series.
- In the last season of Mako Mermaids, a giant water dragon will appear called the Jiao Long Dragon.